Income tax Department is authorized to issue Tax Deduction Number or Tax Collection Account Number. Every person is liable to deduct of tax at source or collection of tax at source are required to obtain TAN
Why is TAN Required?
TAN is required by all individual because without it Tax Deducted at Source (TDS) or Tax Collected a Source (TCS) returns are not accepted by TIN facilitation centres Banks to do not accept the challans for TDS/TCS payment if TAN is not quoted.
It needs to be mentioned that failing to apply for Tan or not quoting the 10-digit alphanumeric number is specified document like TDS/TCS returns, e-TDS/e-TCS returns, TDS/TCS certificates, and TDS/TCS payment challans can be up to a penalty of Rs.-10,000.
Who Needs to Apply for TAN
Every person who is required to deduct or collect tax at source on behalf of the Income tax department need to apply and obtain the 10-digit alphanumeric TAN.
Types of TAN Application
There are basically two types of TAN applications:-
- Application for issuance of new TAN
- Form for change or correction in TAN data for TAN allotted
How to Apply of TAN?
TAN can be applied either online or offline, Applicants has to visit NSDL official website for online application or by visiting any of the TIN facilitation centres of National Securities Depository Limited (NSDL)
To apply online for a new TAN, applicant can follow the steps mentioned below:
1. Visit www.tin-nsdl.com/index.html
2. Select ‘TAN’ under the ‘Services’ dropdown
3. Click on ‘Apply online’
4. Select ‘New TAN’
5. On the new page, choose from the list ‘category of deductors’ and click on ‘Select’
6. In doing so, it is redirected to form 49B
7. Fill in the form and ‘submit’ the form
8. On confirmation, an acknowledgement screen is displayed which contains
- A 14- digit acknowledgement number
- Status of the applicant
- Name of the applicant
- Contact details
- Payment details
- Space of signature
9. The applicant is required to save the acknowledgement and get a printout of it
10. The printout of acknowledgement along with other documents is required to be sent to
NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited
5th floor, Mantri Sterling
Plot No.341,Survey No. 997/98,
Near Deep Bunglow Chowk
For applying offline, the process is the same as mentioned above apart from the fact that the applicant is required to visit the TIN facilitation centres located in their place of residence.
Documents to be submitted
The following mentioned document need t be submitted along with the application for TAN:
- Proof of address of the registered office
- Passport sized photo as per specifications
- PAN card of the enterprise
- Tan application form
- Identify proof of the company